The Sustainable City Awards program is designed to recognize businesses, organizations and individuals in the community who provide innovative programs and sustainable practices as well as demonstrate environmental leadership.
There is a wide range of categories for the new award including:
- sustainable building design (new construction)
- energy efficiency and conservation
- sustainable remodeling (residential, commercial or institutional projects)
- use of renewable or alternative energy
- waste reduction, composting and recycling
- environmental education and awareness
- water conservation
- innovative storm water management practices
- sustainable business practices, and
- youth leadership.
More than one project could receive an award as each nomination will be judged on its own merit. The nominated project must be within the City of Cottage and have been started within the past three years.
Applications are available here. The nomination deadline is Feb. 27, 2016.
The award will be presented annually on or near Earth Day.
The program was developed in 2013 by the city’s Environmental Commission, a citizens group appointed by the City Council, to promote sustainability in the community.